Core of International Relations


Residence Status for work in Japan

1. Residence Status for work in Japan

International students who want to work in Japan after graduation have to change their residence status to "Engineer/ Specialist in Humanities/ International Services Visa" or "Highly Skilled Professional Visa" or another. Students can not continue to stay in Japan with a "Student Visa" after their graduation and need to prepare the necessarily documents and submit them for the appropriate visa to the immigration office before their graduation.

Information for the necessary documents can be found on the following website.

Necessary documents

Engineer/ Specialist in Humanities/ International Services Visa

Visit the website of the Ministry of Justice at:

  • The examination process to change to this residence status takes one to two months.

Highly Skilled Professional Visa

  • Highly-Skilled Professional (i)(a)
    "Activities of engaging in research, research guidance or education based on a contract entered into with a public or private organization in Japan."
  • Highly-Skilled Professional (i)(b)
    "Activities of engaging in work requiring specialized knowledge or skills in the field of natural sciences or humanities based on a contract entered into with a public or private organization in Japan."

Applicants should satisfy the number of points needed to obtain Highly-Skilled Professional Visa. The points system is on the following website where you can calculate your score:

  • The examination to change to this residence status takes about 10 days, but please proceed as soon as you find a place of employment.
  • All graduates and alumni of Toyohashi University of Technology receive a 10 point bonus as those who graduated from the university that the Minister of Justice set forth in the notification.

2. Residence Status (Designated Activity Visa) after Graduation

International students who wish to remain in Japan after graduation in order to continue looking for jobs need to change visa status to a Designated Activity Visa.

This status of residence has a six-month period of stay and can be renewed one time for a maximum of one year.

After graduation from university, you cannot look for a job with your student VISA.

Necessary Documents

  • VISA application form
  • Passport
  • Residence Card
  • Financial statement showing you can provide for yourself through your stay.
    (ex:proof of payment, copy of banknote)
  • Certificate of Graduation/Certificate of Completion
  • Recommendation Letter from the University (see below)
  • Evidence that you are seeking employment
    (ex: Job hunting record、a notification of Selection result)
  • Revenue stamp 4000yen

Recommendation Letter from University

  1. The student who wants to continue job hunting after graduation in Japan, please contact the International Affairs division at the beginning of the graduation month.
  2. Make a job hunting plan, and get approval from your supervisor, your supervisor of employment, and the chair teacher, and submit "Application For Certificate For Job Hunting" to International affairs division.
  3. When the university accepts the issue of the recommendation letter , we publish it within one week.
  4. You submit a Recommendation letter and other required documents to the Immigration office, and please report the result to the International Affairs Office.
  5. When you change the contact information, or finish job hunting, please report it to the International Affairs Division immediately.
  • This VISA is only for degree students.
    Non-degree students, Exchange students, and Research students can not receive Designated Activities VISA.
  • If you are "Coursework Completion without Degree" student, you can not change visa status to a Designated Activity Visa.
  • When you apply for the extension of VISA six months later, you need the same documents and same procedure. So keep all documents which are necessary for the Recommendation letter.

Toyohashi Port Branch of Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau

Address 2nd Floor, Toyohashi Kowan Godo Chosha 3-11 Jinnofuto-sho, Toyohashi City 441-8075
Tel 0532-32-6567
Open 9:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00
Access Toyohashi Eki Nishieki Mae - Kowan Godo Chosha (commuting time : 20-25 minutes)

to Top